Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Carcassonne


No, this is not computer-generated. There really is a place that looks like this. And it's called Carcassonne.

The name has a history: apparently the lady Carcas ordered the bells of the city be rung when Charlemagne (I was wondering if I would mention him during my semester here) lay siege to the city. The tolling disheartened his army, and the fortress was christened Carcassonne (Carcas sonne, or Carcas sounds).

My mother and I voyaged there (I can hardly say "went"; that word is not nearly majestic enough) two weeks ago on a Sunday evening in late April (the 17th, to be exact), and lingered (I cannot say "stayed" either) until the Tuesday morning.

We awoke Monday morning to discover a cat-infested castle (CAT-sle. Or, in French, CHAT-eaux. Take your pick, select that which pleases you). Cats everywhere. Restless cats prowling the streets. Slothful cats vegetating in flower pots. Dextrous cats scaling walls.

Then the sun illuminated the world, people emerged from their dank sleeping quarters, and the cats disappeared. Oh, but the keep! Although the tower tops were put in place for tourism, the base itself is the real deal, fortress of defense dating to Roman times.
Roman-built spire

People were not the only visitors in Carcassonne that Monday. Cers, the chill West wind, blowing from Montagne Noir or "Black Mountain" (this is all real) greeted us in force that day. On other days, one might meet Antlantus, the warm, damp wind of the Mediterranean to the Southeast. (oh, this place was absolute ecstasy for my inner geek me).


I couldn't sit still. I walked the city streets. I stalked the ramparts. I circled the city, again and again. Night fell, and I continued. Allergies took a back seat. The wind's icy breath invigorated me. Even chains couldn't contain me; they caught my legs, scraped my shins, but around I walked.

Yes, this city was thoroughly worth forgetting my headphones on the train for.










Scattered thoughts, both about Carcassonne and about France in general:
Who let the rodents out??
I saw a couple walking their two ferrets (or perhaps they were weasels?). Or so I thought. Because when my mom and I turned our head, a third rodent appeared! But that wasn't the end of it. Somehow, the couple produced a fourth ferret/weasel. All on leashes. Bizarre.

No headphones is a bit of a pain. Surprisingly less for traveling than for walking the kilometer-and-a-half back from school. Of course, I don't think I'm going to buy a new pair before going home, so that means no Ipod on the overseas flight...so we'll see.

Goose
An oversight in my brief Bordeaux post: my Mom and I also walked around a park (it didn't bother my allergies, so it was fun). We saw lots of marine fowl, but even with my Mom there (see Strasbourg), we were unable to identify many birds. But I like water birds I guess.

More Bordeaux: The city is called "La Port de la Lune", or the harbor of the moon. And yes, the river was gorgeous at night.

Okay, so in beginning to prepare for my return home (15 days...), I realize that reverse culture shock exists. For example, the mannequins in French stores are naked half the time. That never happens in the United States, but I don't even notice anymore. I wonder how much more has escaped my attention...

La Port de la Lune
Well, there's the doors to building here as well. Some times they open by pushing. I have a dread premonition that I'm going to make a fool of myself in the USA pushing futilely on a door I should be pulling.

2 comments:

  1. Have you played the game Carcassonne? We have it at home and it's so much fun! It makes me extra jealous that you went to the real place...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think I owned it at one point, but I believe I let it fall to my brother because I obviously don't love it to the extent you do.

    ReplyDelete